FMLA / Paid Family Leave/Coronavirus Response act

Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) 

Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) is a type of leave for qualified employees who are unable to work due to a serious health condition or needs time off to care for a spouse or immediate family member with a serious health condition. FMLA is unpaid but can run concurrently with other forms of paid leave (sick leave and/or personal leave/WA Paid Family Leave). The District continues its regular employer contributions towards health insurance premiums (medical, dental, and vision) during the FMLA period. FMLA also entails specific job protection and return-to-work rights. On an annual basis, eligible employees can use up to twelve (12) weeks of FMLA. This is equivalent to sixty (60) work days. FMLA leave can be used intermittently so long as it is medically necessary in writing by the health care provider. These are some common FMLA qualified reasons:

  • Birth of your child
  • Placement of a child for adoption or foster care
  • Serious health condition of an employee or an employee’s spouse, child (18 or younger) or parent.

There are a few forms for you to complete and return to the District Office or email the application to or mail it to Anita Bickler, Payroll Specialist Sultan School District, 514 4th St, Sultan WA 98294.

If FMLA is for your own serious health condition, please ask your doctor to give you “return to work authorization” following the end of your approved FMLA leave. This must be submitted to Anita Bickler by email or in person at the district office before you may return to your job.


Washington Paid Family and Medical Leave

Paid Family and Medical Leave is a mandatory statewide insurance program that will provide almost every Washington employee with paid time off to give or receive care.
If you qualify, this program will allow you to take up to 12 weeks, as needed, if you:
•    Welcome a child into your family (through birth, adoption or foster placement)
•    Experience a serious illness or injury
•    Need to care for a seriously ill or injured relative
•    Need time to prepare for a family member’s pre- and post-deployment activities, as well as time for childcare issues related to a family member’s military deployment. For specifics on military-connected paid leave, visit
If you face multiple events in a year, you might be eligible to receive up to 16 weeks, and up to 18 weeks if you experience a serious health condition during pregnancy that results in


  1. Notify your employer - 

    If you know you will be taking paid leave well before it happens (for example, if you are expecting a baby or your family member has a planned surgery coming up), you’ll need to give your employer written notice at least 30 days in advance.If you take paid leave unexpectedly (for example, after a serious injury), written notice to your employer is still required. Provide notice as soon as you are able, or ask someone else, like a family member or a neighbor, to provide notice for you.In your written notice, let your employer know you need to take paid family or medical leave and about how long you expect you’ll be out. Emails, text messages and handwritten notes all count as written notice. It is always a good idea to keep a copy for your records.

  2. Get Certified by a Health Care Provider - 

    For a medical event (for example, a planned surgery, a family member’s serious illness or giving birth to a baby), download and fill out the Certification of Serious Health Condition form. The form includes a section for you to fill out and a section for your or your family member’s healthcare provider to fill out. The form includes information about your health condition, when it happened and how much time off from work you need based on what your healthcare provider recommends. (If you prefer, you can use your Family Medical Leave Act form or a doctor’s note instead. Just make sure it includes the same information as the Certification of Serious Health Condition form.)You do not need this form if you’re adopting a child or becoming a foster parent, or for military-related events. You also don’t need it to qualify for 12 weeks of paid leave to bond with your new baby when you or your partner give birth. (If you are the parent giving birth, you will need the form for the portion of your paid leave that is considered medical leave.)

  3. Gather Other Documents - To apply, you will need to provide documents that prove your identity. Many documents can be used to prove identification, including school transcripts and birth certificates from other countries.Download list of acceptable identification documents If you’re taking time off to care for a new child or because of a military event, you may need a couple more documents: If you’re taking leave to care for a new child, you are not required to provide proof of birth or placement in most cases, but you may be asked to provide documents such as the child’s birth certificate or court documents to show placement if we have a question about your application.  If you’re taking leave because of a military deployment, event or activity, you may be asked to provide documentation like active duty orders.

  4. APPLY -  Call the Customer Care Team at (833-717-2273) for assistance.

Visit Apply Now to get started and download the checklist to make sure you have everything you need. Download the comprehensive Benefit Guide for additional information about preparing for and using the program.


Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA or Act)

The Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA or Act) requires certain employers to provide their employees with paid sick leave and expanded family and medical leave for specified reasons related to COVID-19. These provisions will apply from April 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020.


In general, employees of private sector employers with fewer than 500 employees, and certain public sector employers, are eligible for up to two weeks of fully or partially paid sick leave for COVID-19 related reasons (see below). Employees who have been employed for at least 30 days prior to their leave request may be eligible for up to an additional 10 weeks of partially paid expanded family and medical leave for reason #5 below.


An employee is entitled to take leave related to COVID-19 if the employee is unable to work, including unable to telework, because the employee:

1. is subject to a Federal, State, or local quarantine or isolation order related to COVID-19;

2. has been advised by a health care provider to self-quarantine related to COVID-19;

3. is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and is seeking a medical diagnosis;

4. is caring for an individual subject to an order described in (1) or self-quarantine as described in (2); 

5. is caring for his or her child whose school or place of care is closed (or child care provider is unavailable) due to COVID-19 related reasons; or

6. is experiencing any other substantially-similar condition specified by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services


Generally, employers covered under the Act must provide employees: Up to two weeks (80 hours, or a part-time employee’s two-week equivalent) of paid sick leave based on the higher of their regular rate of pay, or the applicable state or Federal minimum wage, paid at

:100% for qualifying reasons #1-3 below, up to $511 daily and $5,110 total;

2/3 for qualifying reasons #4 and 6 below, up to $200 daily and $2,000 total; and

Up to 12 weeks of paid sick leave and expanded family and medical leave paid at 2/3 for qualifying reason #5 below for up to $200 daily and $12,000 total.A part-time employee is eligible for leave for the number of hours that the employee is normally scheduled to work over that period.